Bridgeton Tunnels

Two disused railway lines terminate at Bridgeton Cross in Glasgow’s East End. In 1892, the North British Railway built a new branch line from their Queen Street station to new stations at Gallowgate Central and Bridgeton Central. A year later, the Glasgow & South Western Railway built a short line to join this branch to their St. Enoch terminus. This line was closed in 1979 – it’s made up of several short tunnels and cuttings.

The second line opened in 1897, and runs eastwards from Bridgeton Cross station (still in use) along under London Road before emerging next to Celtic Park football ground. A Sierra Cosworth lies abandoned a surprising distance along.

2 Responses

  1. Unfortunately the subterranean and overground rail infrastructure feeding Glasgow was abandoned following massive rail cuts in favour of roads. Westminster’s decision.

Leave a Reply