Birkwood House started as a Georgian villa built at the end of the 18th Century for the Mackirdy family. The original villa was surrounded on two sides by later larger additions in 1858, and a large front addition by James Thomson in 1890. The house was bought by Lanarkshire Council in 1920 to use as a hospital for children, and it remained a hospital until 2005.
One of the highlights of the house is the two fantastic spiral staircases – this is the first:
Part of the later extension was outwards on the earlier building, leaving internal windows – here used as bookcases.
An absolutely gorgeous boiler by Wilson of Glasgow:
Up the second spiral stair:
To the roof:
And finally what it looks like from outside: