Torpedo Testing Station

Loch Long’s Torpedo Testing Station is now almost 100 years old – it was completed in 1912, just in time for WWI. Embarrassingly, a German spy was found here in 1915, and the station finally closed in the 1980s.

This first picture is from 2005, showing how it looked then – unfortunately it was set on fire and one of the buildings has since been demolished.

Disused Quay (by Ben Cooper)

It’s still an impressive structure, though.

Torpedo Testing Station (by Ben Cooper)

Cradles were used to move the torpedos on tracks.

Torpedo cradle (by Ben Cooper)

Fire damage is obvious further on.

Torpedo Shed (by Ben Cooper)

The outside walkway has a beautiful view over Arrochar.

Lookout (by Ben Cooper)

Quite a lot of the roof has gone.

Fragile Roof (by Ben Cooper)

The observation gallery is now sadly destroyed by fire.

From the dock (by Ben Cooper)

The worker’s housing is still standing.

Fish Wallpaper (by Ben Cooper)

Watch a full-screen slideshow, or browse the full image collection:

[flickr-gallery mode=”photoset” photoset=”72157604645790161″]

3 Responses

  1. Me and a few mates used to hire a boat across the way from there and go fishing around there many years ago. Those pics bring back memories.

  2. Just back from some camping at Lochgoilhead. First time through Arrochar without that building being there – just a couple of piers left now.

  3. Found this:

    A Torpedo Range has existed on Loch Long since 1912, and was the scene of an unusual espionage story in 1915, which ended with an execution at the Tower of London.

    Born in 1881, Augusto Alfredo Roggen (Uruguyan) sailed from Rotterdam to Tilbury Docks in May, 1915. From there he made his way to Edinburgh, posing as a farmer, and on to Tarbet, arriving in June and taking a room at the hotel of the same name. Arrested within 5 hours of his arrival, he had purchased a map of the local area, including Loch Long, site of the Admiralty Torpedo Range. Police found a revolver, ammunition, invisible ink, and a contact list in his room.

    Transported London, he gave no statement or evidence at his courts-martial, and was found guilty He was sentenced to death by shooting in August, 1915.

    The sentence was carried out at 6 am, September 17, 1915, at the Tower of London, by men of the 3rd Battalion, Scots Guards.

Leave a Reply