Loch Long’s Torpedo Testing Station is now almost 100 years old – it was completed in 1912, just in time for WWI. Embarrassingly, a German spy was found here in 1915, and the station finally closed in the 1980s.
This first picture is from 2005, showing how it looked then – unfortunately it was set on fire and one of the buildings has since been demolished.
It’s still an impressive structure, though.
Cradles were used to move the torpedos on tracks.
Fire damage is obvious further on.
The outside walkway has a beautiful view over Arrochar.
Quite a lot of the roof has gone.
The observation gallery is now sadly destroyed by fire.
The worker’s housing is still standing.
Watch a full-screen slideshow, or browse the full image collection:
[flickr-gallery mode=”photoset” photoset=”72157604645790161″]